- Connecting the Dots into the Future
- A new question mark implies having made the key cliff jump on two roller coasters:
- getting to know yourself
- getting to know the world
- Careers have probably never really functioned like 40-year-tunnels, they just seemed that way.
- When you think of your career as a tunnel, it causes an identity crisis in anyone who doesn’t feel sure of who exactly they are and who they’ll want to be decades from now—which is most sane people.
- When you think of your career as a tunnel, the stakes to make the right choice seem so high that it explodes the feeling of tyranny of choice.
- When you think of your career as a tunnel, you lose the courage to make a career switch, even when your soul is begging for it.
- Today’s career isn’t a tunnel, or a box, or an identity label—it’s a long series of science experiments.
- The Next Dot
- I think end-of-life regrets may simply be your authentic self thinking about the parts of your life you never got to live—the parts of you that someone else kicked down into your subconscious.
- My goal for the future isn’t to avoid mistakes, it’s for the mistakes I do make to be my own.
- 毕业后没有选择考研、出国留学或者进大公司工作，而是进小的创业公司写 Ruby, Elixir 这样的冷门语言
毕业之后，也经历了很多职业上的选择，现在我的想法就像上面两个 quote 里提到的那样：
- The stepping stones almost never resemble the final product
- You can only find things by not looking for them
- Re-breeding won't work
- Why? (Search) Deception
- Profound Implications
- The path to success is through not trying to succeed
- To achieve our highest goals we must be willing to abandon them
- It is in your interest that others do not follow the path you think is right
- They will lay the stepping stones for your greatest discoveries
- Serious Implications for Collaboration
- Without care, collaboration can lead to convergence/consensus
- Prunes out all the stepping stones
- Loss of diversity
- Most science funding decisions are made this way
- Mediocre washout effect
- Compromise for all, preference of none
- Search Processes without Objectives are Treasure Hunters
- No final objective
- They collect stepping stones
- not always solutions to particular problems
- but they have potentials/novelty
- They are divergent and thereby creative
- The Myth of The Objective is everywhere
- A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving. 善行无辙迹 － 老子